Starting a conversation with a total stranger can be a debilitating experience. It’s common especially when you want to strike a conversation with a new person. Often, in language exchange, we get stuck with asking the right questions to keep a conversation going. Bet a question that has run in anyone’s mind is: how do I even begin? Having a guide on conversation exchange topics can be a great help in situations like these!
But that’s alright, it happens to anyone.
Generally, there are three important aspects to start great conversation:
1. Ask questions
2. Give answers, and
3. Understand responses
To begin conversing with the right conversation exchange topics at right time, you can try the following steps-
- Use light and situational conversational exchange topics in the beginning. For example, you can ask about a place you want to visit.
- Your language partner might also be a beginner, so give him/her sometime to come up with good answer.
- After your conversation, analyse the responses and better write them. This way you can have an impression of the conversation in your memory.
- Be patient as the initial learning and setting the tone with your language partner may take time.
- Once the both of you become acquainted with each other, you can indulge in serious topics of mutual interests.
Here’s a list of our favourite conversation exchange topics:
Getting acquainted with your language partner
- Where do you live?
- How long have you been in Mumbai (Or the city where your language partner lives)?
- Are you familiar with Spanish (Or the language you speak/ your native language)?
- Are you a student? (People feel good when you estimate their age lesser than they actually are. :P)
- Where do you study/work?
- How far is your place with mine?
- Tell me about your family.
- My city is a beautiful place. Plan your vacation sometime here.
- Do you have any other language partner?
- How long have you been using this app?
Hobbies and interests
- Do you like to Travel?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- Do you watch English movies?
- Who is your favorite star?
- Do you like music and do you play any instrument?
- I am a huge fan of Ronaldo. Are you into sports?
- Which is your favourite movie?
- Are you into politics?
- Do you like cooking or baking?
- Which is the last book you read?
- What do you prefer- nature or monuments?
- What is your dream destination?
- I am a wandering monk. I can travel anywhere, anytime. What about you?
- I am not much of a traveller. I usually step out when I need to.
- Do you like travelling?
- Do you like mountains?
- Are you into adventure sports?
- Where was the last place you travelled?
- Do you travel to your grandparents?
- Do you travel to eat?
- Where do you work?
- How was your day?
- Are you also annoyed with your boss, like I am?
- How long have you been working?
- Is there a dress code in your office?
- Do you have weekends off?
- What is your working hour?
- Is this your first job?
- What is your dream job?
- What do you work?
Describing your country in your initial conversations
- I live in India, where do you live?
- How cold is the winter in your country?
- Are you born in Jakarta (Or your language partner’s city/country)?
- What is your favourite place in your country?
- Have you ever been to India (Or your own country)?
- Summers are beautiful in my country.
- Have you travelled abroad?
- What is the best thing about your country?
- Is your country expansive?
- What is the one thing you do not like about your country?
“What’s your” questions
- What’s your favourite sport?
- What’s your favorite holiday spot?
- What’s your dream holiday destination?
- What’s your pet’s name?
- What’s your nickname?
- What’s your favourite food?
- What’s your favourite season?
- What’s your best friend’s name?
- What’s your way to pass time?
- What’s your facebook id? Can we be friends on facebook?
“Have you ever” questions
- Have you ever received a terrible gift?
- Have you ever seen a camel?
- Have you ever been to London?
- Have you ever sniffed like a dog?
- Have you ever played UNO?
- Have you ever fought with a bully?
- Have you ever embarrassed yourself?
- Have you ever been to a nightclub?
- Have you ever travelled solo?
- Have you ever been on a trek?
Conversations on habits
- Do you have a habit of biting nails?
- At what time do you get up?
- At what time do you sleep?
- What is the one habit you wish to change?
- Are you a night person?
- What do you don’t like in girls/boys?
- Is sleeping late a bad habit?
- What is your food habit?
- Is it ok to drink water in between meals?
- What is the most common habit of the people of Australia (Or the place where your language partner lives)?
Health and environment
- Has your country banned plastic?
- Do you use plastic bags or cloth bags for grocery shopping?
- Do you have plants in your home?
- What do you think of the environmental policies imposed in your country?
- What are the seasons there (Or your partner’s country’s name)?
- Do you recycle?
- How are the medical facilities in your country?
- What do you do when you have a cold?
- Do you like flowers?
- What do you think of global warming?
Politics and world issues
- What do you think of the current political situation in Canada?
- Who is your favourite political leader?
- What if Earth collided with Venus?
- What do you think of Trump’s political policies?
- Do you think automation can change the way the world is functioning?
- What if we have only one country and no different languages?
- What is one thing you would change if you became the president?
- Which country would you want to live in forever?
- Why do you like politics?
- What change do you want to bring in the world?
So, what are your conversation exchange topics?
Check out these articles to complete your language exchange experience: